Saturday, December 08, 2007

In search of radiance

One of my friends told me I haven't updated this blog for ages. So here are some suggestions on how we oldies (40+) can find that elusive glow that you take for granted when you're younger.

I quite often look at myself in the mirror and sigh "not exactly radiant!" But there are a few tips and tricks for giving the illusion of smooth glowing skin. The famous Beauty Flash Balm from Clarins, and an equivalent product from Decleor never really worked for me. I find them quite drying and you have to be quick to apply make-up.

If I've got time on my hands, or I'm preparing for a party, then finding radiance can be quite a process. It starts with Elemis's gorgeous Papaya enzyme mask. This is a deliciously scented cream which acts like an exfoliator and gets rid of all the surface dry skin. I don't like exfoliators very much - they are all, to my mind, harsh and drying, but this Elemis product is like a hybrid exfoliator and mask.

I follow that with my beloved Decleor Hydrotenseur eye firming serum (the best eye product I've ever used) and on my skin, Decleor Experience de l'Age moisturizer which claims a triple action for wrinkle correction, firmness and radiance. Well, you can't argue with that, and it certainly feels lovely with a melting velvety texture.

Now for make-up. Women over 40 should always use foundation. Tinted moisturizers don't offer enough cover. I don't like a heavy foundation but I opt for one that gives light to medium coverage and has an illuminating effect, usually by Chanel or Estee Lauder (I love Lucidity). Then I use Yves St Laurent Touche Eclat in areas that need lightening: around the nose, corners of the mouth, the circles under the eyes (but not close to the lashes). Blusher is the final touch, and it needs to be a cream blusher, never powder. I like Nars The Multiple in Portofino. Mascara and lip gloss complete the look, and by now you should be looking fairly radiant!

If time is tight then I rely purely on the Decleor moisturizer and serum, Touche Eclat and blusher.

No comments: